Friday, January 7, 2011

ComPassion 2011

"I have been crucified with CHRIST and I no longer live; but CHRIST lives in me.  The life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the Son, who loved me, and gave HIMself for me."  Gal. 2:20

"...there is a FRIEND who sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24

   Dear Praying Friends and Family,
            You were so kind to take time to pray for Hannah Beth and for the other 22,000 students who attended "Passion 2011" in Atlanta this past Sat. through Tuesday.  Hannah Beth met her roommate and 7 other girls from the University  of Mobile over in Atlanta after driving through continuous rain all the way  last Sat. morning.  It was worth the difficulty getting there as they  were challenged by messages from Beth Moore, Frances Chan, John Piper, David Plaitt, and music led by Chris Tomlin, among others.   I hope some of you were able to listen and watch the live feed of "Passion 2011" and hear the great music and the challenging messages.  I have to confess, i heard a lot of the great singing, but missed out on most of the messages.  So i was eager to hear from Hannah Beth last night as she sat the table for supper, what impressed her most about "Passion 2011."  She went and got her journal where she had taken notes and shared some of Beth Moore's message about "Delighting in the LORD,"  from John Piper she shared "Making much of GOD and GOD making much of us."  Out of all the speakers, Hannah Beth liked Frances Chan who wrote the book, "Crazy Love."  Since she's been home, it has really blessed me to see a renewed "Passion" in her heart for our LORD JESUS, and posting unashamedly her love for CHRIST on her FB page.  

     Last night, as we had just sat down to the table to eat supper, after Hannah Beth finished sharing her notes with me from "Passion," we heard a car drive up, and then shortly after a knock.  I have to admit, i had a sinking feeling in my stomach, and Hannah Beth looked at me.  It was someone we had been expecting most of the afternoon who is going through some very, very difficult trials...we found out early this morning her husband filed for divorce yesterday.  I had thought the friend decided not to come yesterday, and had planned to attend choir practice, and then come home and enjoy being together as a family...it's been a while since it's just been the four of us at home together.  When she knocked on the door, i saw my plans for the evening dying, and when Johnny told me no to going to choir, they really died.  I knew I didn't need to go to choir when she came in, she looked like she had been crying and fell into my arms crying..but i'll be honest I had a hard time dying to self last night.  Hannah Beth and I had just finished talking about "Passion 2011" and yet when the LORD brought someone literally to my doorstep who needs to be shown the love of CHRIST, i wanted to "punt," and do what I wanted to do.  I wanted to go to church instead of open my heart up to this person in their time of great need.    I have been so thankful for my husband who has led the the way in reaching out this young woman and her husband and tried to keep their family together.  Johnny has really died to self answering early morning phone calls very patiently, spending Sat. afternoon going to their house and counseling with their family, and counseling with her and again with her husband last night at the restaurant...i am very humbled by the love of CHRIST shown through him and the compassion he has for this young lady and her family.
      
     I have to confess, Saturday when Johnny said she might be coming over to stay awhile, i looked at him and said, "I am not ready for her to come over."  I had been around chemicals at a friend's house with new construction myself for 4 hours the night before and I was "whopped." I don't detox new house chemicals too well. I told him i was struggling and wasn't ready for a house guest...we had just had a guest for a week, and although he was wonderful, i was ready for it to just be "our family." I knew that I needed to surrender, but i just felt like i couldn't Sat. I was stressed myself.  The LORD was gracious and knew i needed a little time to "air out," and so it was Weds. before our friend came over, and by that time and a fresh IV in my system, though strained a little, i was ready to say "Yes, LORD."    We thought she would be staying the night, but after staying the evening she felt like she needed to go back home and do some things....and planned to come back today after work.  It was early this morning she called and said her husband had filed for divorce.  
      
   
      Please pray for this young lady whom GOD has brought into our lives to show HIS love and com"PASSION" to during this most difficult time.   Please pray for us to be filled with HIS love and com"Passion," patience and wisdom to minister to her, individually and as a family...we're all having to die to self and it's good for us to do that.  CHRIST said:
 
      "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow ME." 
                                   Luke 9:23 
                                                                                         
    The "Passion," JESUS wants us to have is not the mountain top high we feel at an area where 22,000 young people enjoyed beautiful worship songs and great preaching, but it's the Com"Passion," the love for those CHRIST brings into our path to minister to, each and every day.  

    I am reminded of the story of the good Samaritan as i write this...how the religious leader passed by the man who had been beaten and robbed and was lying in the street.  
     

Text

Luke 10:25-37
[25] On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
[26] "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
[27] He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
[28] "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."
[29] But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
[30] In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. [31] A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. [32] So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. [33] But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. [34] He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. [35] The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'
[36] "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"
[37] The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

    JESUS is not saying here we have to do good works here to inherit eternal life, we have eternal life only through believing in what CHRIST did for us on the Cross and repenting of our sins. 


     "For by grace are you saved, through faith and that not of yourselves it is the gift of GOD. And this not from yourselves, it is the gift of GOD-not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8,9


   But the good works we do are evidence that CHRIST has really transformed our lives and given us HIS love for those around us.  If we don't have that love, that compassion in our hearts for those CHRIST brings into our lives...then we need to examine ourselves and see if we are truly in CHRIST JESUS.
    "For the fruit of the SPIRIT is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, goodness and self control." Gal. 5:22


    It's not easy to be "crucified with CHRIST."  Death to self cuts across the grain of what we hold so dear...our self, our will, our way. We also have to realistically examine our priorities, and make sure we are not neglecting our husband, and family to minister to others.  But if we abide in CHRIST JESUS through spending time with HIM in reading and studying HIS Word each day, praying, spending time in fellowship with other believers, and sharing with others what CHRIST has done for us, CHRIST empowers us through HIS HOLY SPIRIT to be able to die to self, and reach out to those in need around us.  GOD also  knows that we need rest and times of refreshing, and we can't be pouring out all of the time...there must be those times spent alone with HIM and to just rest and "recharge our batteries," in HIM.
    One thing I am greatly reminded of being in a very needy position myself through my multitudes of health issues is how GOD has used so many of you to minister and help me and my family through such difficult times with my health issues.... I am so blessed.   How can I turn my back on this one in her time of need when i have been shown so much patience and love and understanding and given so much help myself....so much help and been shown great grace and patience.   


    Last night, as I lay down extra exhausted to go to bed after a full day and from some affects of an allergy treatment i had the day before, the LORD really ministered to me through Oswald Chambers.  HE didn't condemn me for my struggles to die to self. HE reminded me that HE knows my frame and knows that I am weak and have limitations...HE allowed them in my life that HIS grace might rest upon me and HIS power be shown through my weakness...II Cor. 12:9.  HE also reminded me that HE is the " FRIEND who sticks closer than a brother," and though i can't be all my friend needs me to be, HE can and wants to be to her. HE uses these desperate circumstances in our lives to get us to reach out to HIM and let HIM show us how very much HE loves us and longs for us to have an intimate relationship with HIM.
 Jesus said to him, ’Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip?’ —John 14:9


These words were not spoken as a rebuke, nor even with surprise; Jesus was encouraging Philip to draw closer. Yet the last person we get intimate with is Jesus. Before Pentecost the disciples knew Jesus as the One who gave them power to conquer demons and to bring about a revival (see Luke 10:18-20). It was a wonderful intimacy, but there was a much closer intimacy to come: “. . . I have called you friends . . .” (John 15:15). True friendship is rare on earth. It means identifying with someone in thought, heart, and spirit. The whole experience of life is designed to enable us to enter into this closest relationship with Jesus Christ. We receive His blessings and know His Word, but do we really know Him?
Jesus said, “It is to your advantage that I go away . . .” (John 16:7). He left that relationship to lead them even closer. It is a joy to Jesus when a disciple takes time to walk more intimately with Him. The bearing of fruit is always shown in Scripture to be the visible result of an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ (see John 15:1-4).
Once we get intimate with Jesus we are never lonely and we never lack for understanding or compassion. We can continually pour out our hearts to Him without being perceived as overly emotional or pitiful. The Christian who is truly intimate with Jesus will never draw attention to himself but will only show the evidence of a life where Jesus is completely in control. This is the outcome of allowing Jesus to satisfy every area of life to its depth. The picture resulting from such a life is that of the strong, calm balance that our Lord gives to those who are intimate with Him.
                                         Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost for HIS Highest" Jan.7
   
Please remember this dear girl, her husband and family in your prayers.  Through her suffering and grief pray she might be able to draw nearer to JESUS and understand how very much HE loves her, and is a faithful "FRIEND who sticks closer than a brother." Pro. 18:24. HE loves her, though her husband may forsake her, and HE is a faithful HUSBAND WHO will never leave her or forsake her.  HE will love her and comfort her, protect her, and provide all her needs in CHRIST JESUS.  Pray for spiritual healing, physical healing and restoration for their family.
     As I cooked breakfast for John Mac this morning before he left for work, the LORD brought Keith Greene's song to my mind..."My Eyes Are Dry"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyxoqHBkwqY&feature=related .  Pray for me, that my heart would not be cold and hard, but be softened up "by the wine of HIS love."
                                                                                                      

My eyes are dry
My faith is old
My heart is hard
My prayers are cold
And I know how I ought to be
Alive to You and dead to me

But what can be done
For an old heart like mine
Soften it up
With oil and wine
The oil is You, Your Spirit of love
Please wash me anew
With the wine of Your Blood
   


   Spending time reading and meditating in GOD's Word is one way for GOD to soften my heart and keep it soft. This year, our family is reading through the MacArthur Daily Bible...www.gty.org  I am so excited about mine that my dear husband gave me for CHRISTmas.    In the front of the MacArthur Daily Bible are Bible verses for each week of the year.   The one for the first week of the year is so very fitting for all of us, no matter if we are going through easy times or difficult ones:

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless HIS holy name!  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all HIS benefits; WHO forgives all your iniquities, WHO heals all your diseases, WHO redeems your life from destruction, WHO crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies." 
Psalm 103:1-4

    Many times, unless we train ourselves to remember GOD's benefits, we fall into the pattern of grumbling and complaining against GOD and HIS ways in our lives. As Nancy Leigh DeMoss, www.reviveourhearts.com reminded me this morning:


     "The choice before us is:  Do we only give glory to GOD for the part of our lives that's going the way we want?  Or do we worship HIM, trust HIM, and give HIM thanks, just because HE is GOD-regardless of the painful, incomprehensible places we encounter in our journey?"
 
      Even in this dear one's life   who is having so many difficulties right now...peace  can be brought to her heart by remembering GOD's benefits and blessings HE has already poured out upon her, and the ones to come, and worshipping HIM in this most difficult place.   HE loves her so very much and HE is going to be with her through the troubled waters.
                                                                   
 "But now, this is what the LORD says-HE WHO created you, O Jacob,HE WHO formed you O Israel: Fear not,for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are MINE. When thou passest through the waters I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be harmed; the flames will not set you ablaze.   For I am the LORD, your GOD, the HOLY ONE of Israel, your SAVIOR." 
                                    Isaiah 43: 1:3
"I will not leave you nor forsake you." Josh.1:5

"Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?  Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.  Behold I have engraved you on the palm of MY hands." Isaiah 49:15-16

"The LORD your GOD is in your midst, a MIGHTY ONE WHO will save; HE will rejoice over you with gladness; HE will quiet you with HIS love, HE will exult over you with loud singing." Zeph. 3:17

"Surely YOUR goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life."Psalm 23:6
           


     Twenty years ago, when i began this journey with my health, I could not imagine the blessings that GOD would bring to me through the despair, and the pain of my sickness and the ashes of my sickness.  My husband and I had felt called to be foreign missionaries, and in the brokenness of my health was forced to leave the church where he was the pastor and return home to have help with our two little ones, and myself.   GOD was calling me and my husband to walk in faith with HIM in a wilderness that I did not want to be in. 
      GOD has taught me so much about HIS love for me and my family, HIS faithfulness to provide all my needs in CHRIST JESUS including homeschooling my children through a chronic sickness, HIS healing power, and continues to restore my health, and has given me an education that is invaluable to help me understand what made me sick and help me to get well.    GOD is giving me a great desire now to take what I have been learning and share some of the wealth of information that HE has been teaching me along the way, as HE "heals all my diseases."As John MacArthur shares in his Daily Bible, healing all our diseases may not be here on earth, but definitely in eternity HE will heal all our diseases and make our bodies perfect as HE is.  
      I am so very grateful for GOD's grace and providing all my needs in CHRIST JESUS along this journey... my husband loving me and helping me in this journey and being able to work and provide financially for my medical needs,  my family and friends love and support, for the dear doctors and  staff who have helped me and encouraged me in this journey, and  for my dear doctor in Tx  who has been so very patient to the umpteenth degree with me and shared her infinite wisdom and knowledge with me.  
     Beginning next Sunday night, a week from this Sunday, i will be leading a class during our "Discipleship Training" class at 5:00 p.m.  entitled "Wellness Against All Odds...GOD's Miraculous Design for Healing the Body."   GOD loves us so much and has shown us a path to keep our temple's healthy and regain our health when we loose it.    I would love to have you come and join us as we learn together.


     "Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well." 
                                                                                                 3 John 2


  Please continue to remember in your prayers:

  • Shirley Wenzell and her family.  Hospice is helping out with Shirley's care and her daughter Mishel, and granddaughter are able to be here with her.  
  • My doctor's assistant Bonnie in your prayers.  She is back at work, but still continuing to recover from the illness that hospitalized her in Atlanta during CHRISTmas. 
  •   Rebekah Thomas a young girl in the hospital in Nashville with some  unusual problems. Please remember her and that GOD would supernaturally intervene in her situation to bring healing to her body.      Thank you so much for your prayers for these dear loved ones.

       GOD bless you, and thank you for taking time to read this first "Friday email," of 2011...oh, I  forgot to mention  in last Friday;s email that my Mom and Dad celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary New Year's Eve and Day.  They begin their vows before twelve and finished after twelve 63 years ago..."We are so blessed," and so thankful for the love and grace GOD has shown our family...
                                   "Bless the LORD, O my soul and forget not all HIS benefits." Psalm 103:1


    You are among GOD's greatest benefits to me and my family...thank you so much for your love in CHRIST JESUS, your prayers for me and my loved ones and allowing me to share this thoughts with you...your love means so much to me.
                                                                                                                                         
                                                                                                         With all HIS love,
                                                                                                                        mitzi


   

No comments: