Friday, August 29, 2008

Working Out

"For physical training is of some value-useful for a little, but godliness [spiritual training] is useful and of value in everything and in every way, for it holds promise for the present life and also for the life which is to come. I Timothy 4:8 Amplified

"Only believe!" Mark 5:36


Dear Friends,

This past Saturday morning, I got up early and headed to the river. It was raining when I got there, so I pulled up to the river where I was facing the water and had a cozy time spending time with the LORD in the front seat of the Jimmy watching the raindrops hit the river. I wasn't too concerned about the rain, except the kayak was sticking out the rear end of the Jimmy and I was hoping it wasn't getting the car wet... I sure didn't want to get mold growing in the car. I was enjoying this time with the LORD, when HE brought to my mind a certain desire that HE had impressed upon my heart a few months ago at this very spot. Little did I know it would become a prayer and intense desire in my heart that would exercise my faith very much. While I was sitting there at the river, praying about this situation, one I have spent many hours praying about since then, I was impressed to go and visit my friend Wanda and ask her to pray with me, to come alongside me, and pray together. After it stopped raining, I had time to squeeze in a paddle to my favorite spot, Big Creek, before meeting Hannah Beth at the gym...where she and my son work out. It was the first time I had worked out at a gym, in a class in long, long time, since Johnny was in seminary. Hannah Beth has been a member of this gym for a while and has been after me to go with her and I always have a good excuse not to. I prefer the slower pace these days of walking, paddling, riding my bicycle, and working out with a few weights on my own at home. This Saturday though, she was going to get a free t shirt if she brought a friend with her, and she really tried to get some of her friends to go but no one could...so, I told her I would try to get back in time from paddling and join her. Well, I did get back in time, after a brisk paddle to Big Creek, and met Hannah Beth just before the class started. When we walked inside, the guys at the desk were really friendly as Hannah Beth introduced me as "her friend," and I kept waiting for her to say this is my Mom, but I guess she forgot:). I was definitely out of my comfort zone being at the gym as I signed the liability form, I thought, you just don't know how many risks I do have:). After filling the form out, we went to the area they were having the "Group Power Class." We put our stuff in the little cubby hole and Hannah Beth got my little area ready for me to work out in getting me a bar and some weights. I really didn't know what to expect, I just wanted to be able to make it long enough for her to get her free t-shirt. It wasn't long before a young man up front with a really friendly smile began leading us in some exercises. He had a couple of instructors with him on stage up front, and then another instructor was running around helping those of us who need assistance. I had my own personal trainer in Hannah Beth standing beside me, and helping me. I had a little trouble with the lunges...in fact, i had two instructors and Hannah Beth trying to help me get my lunge form down , and I don't think I ever caught on just right...but, at least I didn't stumble off of the treadmill, pulling the girl off beside me, and get slammed into a wall, like I did at the last gym I worked out at several years ago. Thankfully, Hannah Beth wasn't around to witness that scene,she was little then and at home. She would have died of embarrassment at that fiasco but we have gotten many laughs from that "workout" many years ago. Did I mention my book went flying too, when I flew off the treadmill? Back at our "group power class" it was humbling for me to use the least weight I could on most of the exercises, but I was just really thankful that after all the arm lifts, leg squats, leg lifts, and squats, that I made it! I made it the whole class, and it didn't kill me. After an hour, I was still standing, and even felt better after I left than when I came in...now for this old girl who has had a mountain of health issues through the years, this was a real milestone for me, and something to Praise the LORD about and I do!
After I left the gym, I had a few errands to run, and I was going to run by and see if Wanda was home and see if I could pray with her. Wanda was home this time (last week's email she was gone when I came by), and she and her husband were out enjoying the flowers in their beautiful backyard. After I visited with them a few minutes I told Wanda I felt impressed to come by and pray with her. We sat down on a bench outside in the yard, and shared just a few minutes of prayer together, before I had to go. Little did either one of us know that something very out of the ordinary was going to happen that afternoon in Wanda's life, and though it was painful,like getting slammed into a wall, we later realized that GOD was answering some of our prayers we prayed earlier that day. Wanda gave me permission to share that she has a daughter that is estranged from them, with two young sons, and she lives out of state. It has been such a difficult trial for Wanda and her husband as they love their daughter dearly. Her daughter, unknown to Wanda, came to visit her grandfather that afternoon in our town, and left without visiting her Mom and Dad or other family...Wanda found out when she later went to visit her Daddy and saw two beautiful pictures of her grandbabies in his room. Not fully the way we would have liked, but as GOD would have it, was answering our prayers. Our faith grew in amazement as we realized the very moment we were praying, GOD was already answering..."before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear." Isaiah 65:24. It has been Wanda's desire for her daughter to visit her aged granddaddy and she had come. It sure did build our faith as we realized that GOD was answering our prayers, even if it wasn't exactly the way we had hoped. It helps us to "Hold On" that HE is going to continuing answering as we cry out to HIM in faith for those desires HE has put in our hearts to pray for...
Wanda and I talked this week about how GOD is putting us through a workout to build our spiritual muscles...to make us stronger in HIM. As much as these "delayed desires," "prayer burdens", whatever you want to call them, get heavy and are painful at times, like pumping those weights at the gym, GOD truly is using them to build our spiritual muscles as we are learning to persevere in prayer, to "hold on" to faith, to encourage one another and hold each other up in prayer, As the instructors at the gym and Hannah Beth, encouraged me and helped me through the workout, GOD has called us to come alongside our brothers and sisters in CHRIST and encourage them spiritually. In Hebrews 10:23-25 it shares," Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for HE who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the DAY approaching." I thought about how that workout class was a small picture of the body of CHRIST, pushing one another, encouraging one another to work our bodies harder, but spiritually it's so much more important to encourage one another in our walks with CHRIST, building our spiritual muscles, as you see the Day approaching." What kind of shape will CHRIST find us in when HE returns...flabby, self indulgent, out of breath, a panty waste? Hebrews 12:7-10 shares with us that the true child of GOD is not going to get away with being a "flabby CHRISTian." Our FATHER will make sure of that.."Endure hardship as discipline; GOD is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not discipline (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. ..."Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but GOD disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."
GOD has allowed me to go through many forms of discipline in my life, as HE has you, to build my spiritual muscles. I had a hard time believing when my kids were little and I was so sick that we would actually make it to this point homeschooling where my daughter is a junior and my son is in college, much less go on Mother Daughter trips like we did a couple of weeks ago to North Carolina with Hannah Beth, or go workout at the gym with her. GOD has done "exceeding abundantly beyond all that I ask or thought," along the way, and it builds my faith so much to look back and see what GOD has done. As I have written this I have thought of other dreams and desires that GOD has put in my heart, some I really prayed about, or worked to accomplish, like playing basketball for the Lady Warhawks when I went to college. GOD put that desire in my heart when I was a young girl, and did all that it took to bring about that desire...not that I would be a "basketball star" because i wasn't, I got well acquainted with the pine bench, but to let me play for a coach who loved CHRIST, and her life made me desire what she had- a close walk with JESUS CHRIST. GOD put a desire in my heart for a CHRISTian husband...I never, ever dreamed in a million years, HE would take the boyfriend I had dated for 4 years and broke up with after I came to know CHRIST and save HIM and give him back to me, a new creature in CHRIST, with a totally new heart, and new direction for life. GOD has been so faithful...even when those desires don't quiet work out the way I thought, like going to the mission field in Africa. HE has made me very content to live right where HE has me and realize this is my mission field. The process was painful, giving up that desire, but GOD has a way of changing our hearts. A desire I had a few years ago, was to have a neighbor that was more than just a neighbor but a true friend. I remember praying about this and after a year and a half, GOD brought us the dearest neighbors we have ever had...and that neighbor was Wanda and her dear husband Greg! What a blessing it was the LORD led them to live beside us for 3 sweet years, and as I shared last week, Wanda and I continue to live beside each other in our hearts...Wanda was another "desire of my heart" the LORD put there and after a year and a half of waiting and praying and GOD putting all the pieces in place (Wanda's story is incredible how GOD moved them from Roanoke, Virginia and planted them right beside us), HE gave me the desire of my heart, and "exceeding abundantly beyond all that I ask or thought" in a neighbor or friend. Wanda has been not only a dear friend to me, but a "spiritual mother" to me, discipling me and helping me to grow in CHRIST. She always has a story from her life to encourage me when my faith is faltering.
Forgive me for going on about all these desires GOD has put in my heart through the years and how HE answered them, but it builds my faith incredibly remembering what HE has done in my past and knowing HE will be faithful to answer my prayers for the desires HE has put in my heart now...HE is "working out" my spiritual muscles as HE leads me to persevere in prayer,"only believe" and wait on HIM. I read a quote in my devotion this week that said, "Faith, courage, and patience are tremendous qualities in a great life but the time element is the factor which is absolutely necessary to work all this out." Time...ugh, that's where I stumble so badly, I want it NOW...and GOD is teaching me, over and over, that it takes time for HIM to answer some prayers. In my front yard last year, I planted a little acorn, one I had picked up on a walk with my Dad and brother in the woods one cool fall evening last year. This acorn was from one of the biggest white oaks I have ever seen. I honestly had forgotten about planting it, until my other oak tree died (that I thought was still alive and wrote about), and one morning I looked and there barely visible under the grass where three tiny red oak leaves! I was thrilled! I have been guarding that little oak tree with my life, threatening John Mac's life if he runs over it with the lawnmower. I surrounded it with bricks to help protect it while it is so little. When I look at that oak tree, I am reminded of a devotion that I read in Streams in the Desert that said, "Just as it takes GOD time to grow an oak tree, it also takes time for HIM to answer prayer..." It helps me to be patient when I remember that just as my little oak tree is really taking it's time to grow, it maybe 3 inches tall right now, but those roots are going down deep in the soil, it also takes GOD time to answer the desires that HE puts in our hearts to pray for....just like moving Wanda right beside me. There was so much going on behind the scenes in that year and a half I was praying for a new neighbor, as GOD was not only orchestrating Wanda and Greg's move to Athens, but also their two daughters and their family's who lived in other states. In that year and a half, GOD moved them all back to Athens...amazing!
I read some quotes in Springs in the Valley this week that I wrote on a card to encourage me and help me not grow weary as I am waiting on GOD to answer the desires and prayers that HE has put in my heart..."Whatsoever thy soul desireth, I will even do it for thee." I Samuel 20:4. "GOD honors the person who trusts HIM implicitly." "It is not our worth, but CHRIST's which has secured for us immediate access to the Throne, "For all the promises of GOD in Him are yes, and in HIM Amen." 2 Cor.1:20. And then this one that I love that so encourages me to not give up on my desires, but keep praying and keep stretching those spiritual muscles, "Only believe"Mark 5:36." GOD has certainly proven to me time and time again that HE is indeed trustworthy to keep HIS promises, and grant me the "desires of my heart," and answer my prayers. In the same devotion as the Scripture, "Only believe," was the quote, "Whatever desire the FATHER permits to live in the heart of one of HIS saints, HE will grant the fulfillment thereof."-Dr. S. Chadwick. This reminds me of one of my favorite verses..."Delight yourself in the LORD and HE will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4. I have claimed that verse over and over and been amazed as I look back over the years to see how GOD has done this for me...even this past Sunday night, as my husband and I sat down with a meal with the Greene's, my beloved friends the LORD gave me the great desire to pray for and love a few years ago. HE has given me the desire of my heart over and over through the years to spend time with them and have them in our home...even though they live in North Carolina. This did not come about immediately...in fact there was a waiting period of two to three years, long after GOD had put the desire in my heart, before we actually had fellowship with them in our home...but GOD did this for me, not once, but twice now, and we have had the joy of enjoying other meals and times of fellowship with them at a restaurant like we did this past Sunday night, after they sang at a church near Decatur. I was encouraged in my faith, as I thought of this and many other desires that GOD has put in my heart through the years and has given me- often years later.
The Greene's (www.thegreenesgospel.com) sing a song called "Hold On" on their "Whosoever Believes" CD that gripped my heart and encouraged me the first time I heard them sing it in Boaz a few years ago when Tim was still singing with them. We had the privilege of hearing them sing it Sunday night and it still encourages my heart to "Hold On" to JESUS and wait for HIM to perform that which I have asked of HIM. I love the second verse where it says, "...in the midst of all your dark despair, with open arms HE's waiting there, to hold you until the hurt is gone." The more precious picture to me, is not me "Holding On" to JESUS, but JESUS holding me in HIS arms.
These waiting times do stretch my spiritual muscles, as I earnestly often times desire things ahead of GOD's timetable, but HE is teaching me to pray without ceasing, to be persistent, to be patient, and to "walk by faith and not by sight." I can assure you, I am just as "awkward" as doing some of these things as I was doing lunge's in the gym, and get even more tired than I did at the gym. But as I look back over my life, I can see where the LORD is building my spiritual muscles. I am so thankful for you my dear friends and family who come along beside me to encourage me, and pray for me and help me to stand when I grow weary, and I do grow weary. GOD is stretching my spiritual muscles and continues to teach me that "My grace is sufficient for you and MY power is made perfect weakness..." Therefore I will gladly boast in my weaknesses that the power of CHRIST may rest on me." II Corinthians 12:9-10.

With all HIS love,
mitzi

"Hold On" written by Phil Cross

When there's no steps left to take,
no moves left to make,
Oppressing fears, tormenting doubts,
prayer after prayer, still there's no way out,
And it seems like pain is all you gain.

Chorus:
Hold on, hold on,
Through every storm hold on,
Even in the darkest night, walk by faith
and not by sight,
Hold on, Hold on.

There's a FATHER of love,
holding peace like a dove
In the midst of all your dark despair
with open arms HE's waiting there,
To hold you 'till the hurt is gone.

No comments: