Friday, October 28, 2011

Snuggling Up to My SHEPHERD



"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy." Psalm 126:5




     Dear Praying Friends and Family,
                I wasn't quiet sure what the LORD wanted me to write about this week, but as it came time to write, the LORD reminded me of this verse above, this promise, HE gave me this morning as i went for a walk in the field nearby.  I usually like to walk in the field, but the past few months it's been more of a challenge for me to walk because i just really haven't felt like it. This morning, i was feeling a bit anxious and restless, and just felt the LORD compelling me to get out in the field and walk, even though it wasn't too comfortable for me...in fact, it made me more teary as i was reacting to a supplement i've been trying the past couple of days for my thyroid.  As i walked along,  Midnight, our black lab explored the smells in the grass nearby, and the LORD brought the verse above to me, "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."  Psalm 126:5.  That was a really sweet nugget the LORD allowed me to "glean" from my walk...and a promise to stand upon.  
    This has been a season of sowing in tears for me....I don't usually cry that easily, but whatever is going on inside makes me want to cry tears over my Daddy in law, and one of my best friends going to be with JESUS, tears over loved ones who don't know JESUS and tears over my health that has perplexed me.  Just seems like this summer and now the fall have been a difficult time for me and our family.   But it's not just our family, it's your family and those around us too...so many are going through difficult times, so many are sowing in tears but will reap songs of joy...
    As i walked through that freshly cut field, with the hay bales newly rolled up, it sure was peaceful and so pretty with the leaves turning their fall colors.  Even though i felt like crying, i was so thankful to be able to be outside, and walk and talk to the LORD.  I don't think i did too much talking, but i felt like HE wanted me to be out there with HIM and enjoying HIS creation, which i did.  Sometimes it's hard to walk in faith, when it's not comfortable, and my body has not been comfortable for the past few months.  It's nothing like the pain that our friend Jean Brinkley, who has cancer, or my friend Darlene who recently went to be with JESUS, but it's a place that i would rather "skip," over in my journey through life.  I am reminded of the book, "Pilgrim's Progress," and the many paths that "CHRISTian" went down on His journey to heaven...a picture of the trails that we all go down.  Some are pleasant and we want to stay there forever, some are treacherous and make us want to take a detour.  But there is no detour, it's just clinging to our Shepherd's Hand and following HIM as HE guides us along the way.  I read a verse, another promise from GOD's word that is such a comfort to me: "I will instruct you and teach you in the way that you should go." Psalm 32:8  You know, i don't know the way, but my SHEPHERD sure does, not only for me, but for my children, and for all that concerns me.  I don't have to look back and wonder did i take the right road..."The LORD is my SHEPHERD, I shall not want,..HE leads me in paths of righteousness for HIS name's sake."  I don't have to wonder and worry if i took the right path, my SHEPHERD knows the way that i take and when HE hath tested me I shall come forth as gold." Job 23:10

   I read a devotion this morning that really spoke to me about the paths the LORD leads us down...some are an uphill climb, but it is there that we reach the heavenly heights:

     "Ye have compassed this mountain long enough:  turn...northward."  Deut. 2:3
     " Last summer a party of us lost our way among the lakes of Ontario.  A violent storm came up, but we found shelter under a great rock till the storm rages past.  Then we resumed our hunt dispiritedly until one said, "Let us climb this rock; we may spy the trail from the top."  It was a hard climb, but the challenge of the rock restored our courage.  As we conquered the heights we gained confidence and mastery, and the hilltop gave us a vision of our way out. 
     Get high enough up, you will be able the fog; and while the men down in it are squabbling as to whether there is anything outside the mist, you from your sunny station will see the far off coasts, and haply catch some whiff of perfume from their shores, or see some glinting of glory upon the shining turrets of "the city that hath foundations."
    The soul which hath launched itself forth upon GOD is in a free place, filled with the fresh air of the hills of GOD.
     "Oh, there are heavenly heights to reach
In many a fearful place,
While the poor, timid heir of GOD
Lies blindly on his face;
Lies languishing for light DIVINE
That he shall never see
'Til he goes forward at THY sign,
And trusts himself to THEE.
-Rev. C. A. Fox

     We are continually retreating behind our limitations and saying, "Thus far and no farther can I go."  GOD is ever laying HIS hand upon us and thrusting us out into the open, saying, "You can be more than you are; you must be more than you are." 

        Are the hills of GOD thine atmosphere?
                                                                                                               Springs in the Valley, Oct. 28

    This devotion reminded me that some of the pathways of GOD are steep and rough and more rugged than others.  My SHEPHERD WHO loves me and knows what is best for me has been leading me down some of those rugged and steep pathways these past few months.  I can assure you i would have rather had the gentle pathways of the field i walked in yesterday...not the "Ramsey Cascades," path my brother and i hiked in Gatlinburg a couple of summers ago, where it was pretty much tough climbing upwards for about 4 miles...but oh the view at the top of the beautiful waterfalls!    As i thought about spiritually what the LORD is doing in my life...it gave me courage.  I like to hike, and i just need to realize i'm on rougher terrain right now, but it's going up those heights that will enable me to see GOD and build discipline and character and all those things that don't come without climbing the hills and hard places with the LORD. 


"Stand up in the place where the dear Lord has put you, and there do your best. God gives us trial tests. He puts life before us as an antagonist face to face. Out of the buffering of a serious conflict we are supposed to grow strong...the grandest character is grown in hardship." Streams in the Desert, Oct.27


   I've always had a "fear of heights," and I can tell you i seem to have a fear of climbing these hills with GOD HE's had me on the past few months. The LORD gave me a little picture yesterday morning to help me not be so afraid.   Early yesterday morning, i was lying in bed, and as is his custom, my little dog, Troy, was snuggled under the covers, as close to me as he could get.  He starts out at night laying on top of the covers, won't get under them for anything, and then early in the morning, he likes to get under the cover and snuggle me.  As I lay there, i thought about how trusting he is in that dark place under the covers.  He can't see the way, he's not concerned about getting out of that dark place, all he wants is to be near me, and he trusts me to help him get out of that dark place when it's morning.  I thought about that's how i should be with my SHEPHERD, trusting HIM in the dark places, content to just snuggle up to HIM, and be in HIS PRESENCE.  Believe me, this is the way the LORD has been leading me all this summer...trust ME. Mitzi, in this dark place and just snuggle up next to ME, and I will lead you out of this dark place when it's time.

    Writing this brings tears to my eyes...as i have longed to be out of this dark place with my health so much, and GOD knows what's best for me, and the times of my captivity and the times of my deliverance.  Oh LORD, help me to trust YOU in this place...to snuggle up to YOU and learn all that you have for me in this dark place, that is made warm by YOUR PRESENCE. 





    I have been reading a new devotion book to me, this summer called JESUS Calling, by Sarah Young and the whole devotion book is about JESUS inviting me  and you to come to HIM, to dwell in HIS presence continually.   I sure haven't arrived at that, but i am trying to learn to snuggle up to HIM and rest in HIM in the dark places.   HE loves us so much HE gave HIS SON for me and for you to save us from the wrath to come,(Matt. 3:7)  to deliver us "from the domain of darkness" Col. 1:13 ...how will HE not also freely give us all things?(Rom. 8:32).   I know in my head, this time of "darkness," with my health is good for me, but my heart is slow to catch up....i want to "run" like the other lambs i see.  The LORD reminded me of my favorite CHRISTmas book i used to read to the kids called "The Crippled Lamb," as i walked this morning and honestly felt sorry for myself.  He reminded me in the story that the "Crippled Lamb," who had to stay behind and couldn't keep up with the other lambs is the one who got to snuggle up to the Newborn King and keep HIM warm in the manger.  Yes, it's a made up story, but isn't it true in our lives...when we can't run and keep up the pace of the world, we get to linger and spend more time being warmed by our SAVIOR's love, and HE wants to be warmed by our fellowship.  HE loves us lingering in HIS Presence and spending time with HIM...and that lingering in HIS Presence is what changes us.



     "Suffering takes on a whole different perspective when we realize that is is an essential tool in the hand of GOD to conform us to the image of JESUS."                       Nancy Leigh DeMoss, www.reviveourhearts.com


     "That I may know HIM and the power of HIS resurrection, and may share HIS sufferings, becoming like HIM in HIS death." Phil. 3:10



  


                              Hannah Beth with Troy 
                                       
 Writing this email has done me good to remind me  of these lessons...it's a good place to be in the dark, snuggled up to my SHEPHERD and LOVER of MY SOUL WHO LOVES ME and "No good thing does HE withhold from those whose walk is blameless." Psalm 84:11 I'm only blameless because when GOD looks at me, HE sees me clothed with the robe of righteousness that CHRIST has given me.  HE paid for it with HIS blood HE shed upon the cross for your sins and mine.

     "I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my GOD.  For HE has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with jewels. Is. 61:10

     I don't know if you know my JESUS as your LORD and SAVIOR,  but HE died for you and for me that we might be able to be forgiven for our sins and be HIS BRIDE forever and have a personal and intimate relationship with HIM.  I'm so thankful my SHEPHERD knows me and loves me just as i am...when a trial comes along, i find myself like the disciples in the boat during the storm, crying out like they did, "Save Me, LORD!" and HE comes to me.   HE's never failed me yet,  never been too late and HIS mercies are new every morning..."GREAT is THY FAITHFULNESS."  LORD help me to snuggle up to YOU, while YOU lead and guide me through this dark place.

    Yes, there are definitely seasons of our lives that we will sow in tears....but GOD promises that we will reap with songs of joy.  GOD sure has blessed me during this "season of tears," with songs of joy, as i have enjoyed being a part of the choir and orchestra at our church so much.  Yesterday, as i practiced "A Mighty Fortress,"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT6qiTVhN0Mby Christy Nockels  in the empty sanctuary at church, the LORD comforted me through Psalm 91 as I listened to the words of that Scripture being read during the song:
   
     "He who dwells in the secret place of the MOST HIGH shall abide under the shadow of the ALMIGHTY.  I will say of the LORD, "HE is my refuge and my FORTRESS; My GOD in HIM I will trust."       Surely HE shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence.  HE shall cover you with HIS feathers.  And under HIS wings you shall take refuge; HIS truth shall be your shield and buckler....     Because he has set HIS love upon ME, therefore I will deliver him;     I will set him on high, because he has known MY name.     He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him.  With long life I will satisfy him, and show him MY salvation." Psalm 91:1-3, 14-16.

   The lyrics to this song comfort me too as i think of GOD "ruling over us with kindness and wisdombeing jealous for HIS own and none can comprehend, HIS love and HIS mercy"...that's my GOD and your GOD for all HE has called and chosen to be HIS..."I have chosen you out of the world, " John 15:19
    
                     A Mighty Fortress by Christy and Nathan Nockels
    

Our God is, a consuming fire, 

A burning holy Flame, with glory and freedom

Our God is, the only righteous judge,

Ruling over us with kindness and wisdom



We will keep our eyes on You

We will keep our eyes on You



A mighty fortress is our God

A sacred refuge is Your Name

Your Kingdom is unshakable

With You forever we will reign



Our God is, jealous for His own

None could comprehend, His love and His mercy

Our God is exalted on His throne

High above the heavens

Forever He’s worthy...






We will keep our eyes on You

We will keep our eyes on You



We will keep our eyes on You

We will keep our eyes on You

So we can set our hearts on You

Lord we will set our hearts on You!



Written by Nathan and Christy Nockels

© 2009 worshiptogether.com Songs / sixsteps Music (admin. by EMI CMG Publishing) (ASCAP)







     I love thinking about snuggling up to my SHEPHERD in the dark as i think of the words to this song,  but more comforting to me, is knowing how very much HE loves me and cares for me and all that concerns me and you...truly HE does cover us with HIS feathers and under HIS wings we can take refuge like Troy likes to snuggle up under the covers on a cold dark night. 

    LORD, help me to learn from my little dog, how much you love for me to come to YOU and that you will shelter me and care for me until the storm passes by...and then you will continue to.  Thank you for helping me see again a glimpse of how very much you love me and care for me.


     "They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the LORD was my support.  HE brought me out into a broad place; HE rescued me because HE delighted in me." Psalm 18:18-19




     "Days of Elijah," by Twila Paris, is  one of the songs we're singing and playing this week...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YYIHIqdSkk.These are the "Days of Elijah" that we're living in, evil days,  dark days, yet days filled with anticipation that JESUS may return at any time.  End time prophecy is being fulfilled left and right, with even this week the headlines reading, "Vatican Recommends A Central World Bank"http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/24/idUS264245887020111024-this is straight from the book of Revelation! These are the days to be sowing the seeds of the gospel and sharing with those GOD brings into our lives how they might escape the wrath that is to come...because it is coming, just as GOD promises in HIS WORD for all that have not trusted in CHRIST as their LORD and SAVIOR.  
     "For GOD so loved the world that HE gave HIS only SON that whosoever believes in HIM will not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16


     "The people who sat in darkness have seen a GREAT LIGHT, and for those who sat in the region and shadow of death LIGHT has dawned." Matt. 4:16
                                      
    These are the days of the harvest, just like this is the season of harvest and what a beautiful fall it has been so far.  LORD, use my weakness as an avenue of YOUR strength, as you promise in your WORD...that YOUR grace is sufficient and YOUR power is made perfect in my weakness, (2 Cor. 12:9)that YOU may lead others to you....help me to be a labourer in the vineyard, declaring the word of the LORD, always....truly there is no GOD like Jehovah and I praise you LORD!  If you don't have a place to worship the LORD, come worship with us at FBC Athens at 10:30 a.m. this Sunday...and then come back Sunday evening at 5:00 p.m. for our annual "Trunk or Treat," as we reach out to our community and share the love and gospel of CHRIST with others through the candy, games, and other activities that will be going on.
    My precious Daddy celebrates his 85th birthday this weekend.  My brother, Tracy is coming from Texas to be with him and we are making plans to celebrate our dear Daddy's life that GOD has so blessed us with.   Hannah Beth tested positive for mono this week, please remember her in your prayers as she continues on with her nursing clinicals and studies...pray for her to rest when she can and take care of herself, pray for the LORD to bring healing to her body.  John Mac got a new job with Apple Computers this week, we are excited for him.  He will be working at the Bridgestreet store after he trains for a couple of weeks, so go in and see him for all your computer needs.  He had another job interview today for a part time job teaching how to take the MCAT test...pray for him for all the LORD is doing in his life.  These are busy days for our children...it's enough to make a Mama's head spin!  Thanking the LORD for you all...thanks for letting me share my heart with you again this week, and please remember me in your prayers, as i snuggle up to My SHEPHERD  in the darkness. 
                                                                               With all HIS love,
                                                                                    mitzi






"He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver" (Mal. 3:3).


"He sat by a fire of seven-fold heat, As He watched by the precious ore, And closer He bent with a searching gaze As He heated it more and more. He knew He had ore that could stand the test, And He wanted the finest gold To mould as a crown for the King to wear, Set with gems with a price untold. So He laid our gold in the burning fire, Tho' we fain would have said Him 'Nay,' And He watched the dross that we had not seen, And it melted and passed away. And the gold grew brighter and yet more bright, But our eyes were so dim with tears, We saw but the fire--not the Master's hand, And questioned with anxious fears. Yet our gold shone out with a richer glow, As it mirrored a Form above, That bent o'er the fire, tho' unseen by us, With a look of ineffable love. Can we think that it pleases His loving heart To cause us a moment's pain? Ah, no! but He saw through the present cross The bliss of eternal gain. So He waited there with a watchful eye, With a love that is strong and sure, And His gold did not suffer a bit more heat, Than was needed to make it pure."
                                                                                 Streams in the Desert, Oct. 29

No comments: