Friday, November 11, 2011

"MASTER, Carest Thou Not That We Perish?"



My Daddy being interview by Channel 48 News


"Pour out your hearts to HIM, for GOD is our refuge." Psalm 62:8


"Now it happened on a certain day, that HE got into a boat with HIS disciples.  And HE said, unto them, "Let us cross over to the other side of the lake...as they sailed HE fell asleep.  And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water and were in jeopardy.  And they came to HIM and awoke HIM, saying, "Master, Master, we are perishing!" Then HE arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water.  And they ceased, and there was calm. But HE said to them, "Where is your faith?"
     

Dear  Praying Friends and Family,
     This morning, the LORD blessed me with with the opportunity to go to the Veteran's Day Parade in Decatur with my dear Daddy who is a Veteran of WWII.  I was so thankful to be able to go with him, after feeling rather awful yesterday.  When I went to the back door of Mom and Dad's house, Daddy had his WWII Veteran's Cap on and was ready to go to the parade.  We got there early, and as we were waiting for the parade to start, Bobbie Shuttleworth with Channel 48 news came over and interviewed my Daddy.  Bobbie did the same thing last year at the same place we were standing...i thought that was really sweet of the LORD to bless my Daddy twice with getting to be interviewed on the news for his service to our country.  
     As I thought about my Daddy serving on a battleship in WWII, I wondered if there were ever times that my Daddy felt like he was going to perish.  He was a shopkeeper on the ship, in charge of ordering all the supplies and keeping the store running.  I remember Daddy telling me that they did have a Japanese suicide plane heading for their ship and it was shot down thankfully.  I know there were a lot of men and women in circumstances during WWII and the other wars that have been fought, and who are serving our country today in foreign lands who have wondered if they were going to perish during their time of service, and as you all know, many of them have so that we might enjoy the freedoms that we have.  Thank you, LORD for all the men and women and their families who have sacrificed and given their all.  Thank you, everyone reading this, for all of you who have served in the military and for all who have had loved ones who served.
    Daddy may not have come close to perishing from the bullet of an enemy in WWII but I know that there have been hard times in his life that he wondered if our family was going to make it.  One of those times Daddy told me about several years ago in my kitchen when I was wondering if I was going to make it with my sickness, and homeschooling my kids.  Daddy recalled the time when my Mom was very sick and her doctor bills and drug bills were very expensive and she had to be in a hospital for a good long while.  His insurance from work had paid all they were going to pay, and Daddy with 7 mouths to feed, including his, was wondering how he was going to manage to pay and keep up with all the bills.  He told me he went by after work one day to see our pastor at our Methodist Church, Hobson Clark, and Daddy poured out his heart and cried to him.  Dr. Clark, prayed with my Daddy, and encouraged him that somehow GOD was going to provide for our family.  It was a short time afterward's that the insurance through Daddy's work was changed, and it covered all Mother's doctor bills.  That's just one story of faith how GOD provided my Daddy's and my family's needs and kept our family from perishing under the weight of bills that my Daddy couldn't see how they were going to be paid.  
    I really haven't thought of that story in a long, long time, but as I think about it now, it sure does give me courage, in the place the LORD has me walking...another place of faith, another place to trust HIM that just as HE has always provided in the past, HE will during the future for all my needs in CHRIST JESUS.  That doesn't mean that the "Cross will not get heavy, and the load will not be hard to bear," as the Crabb family sings, in "Through the Fire,"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4OvUU-ZHU but it does mean that whatever strength, whatever peace, whatever i need, will be provided for me each and every day.  I love the verse I read this morning, and claimed it many times as a younger woman with health issues having to depend on the LORD to help me through each day to homeschool my children.."Your sandals shall be iron and bronze; As thy days are, so shall thy strength be." Deuteronomy 33:25.  I had the opportunity to share GOD's faithfulness to strengthen me with Jean Brinkley this week on FB.  She is a young Mom who has cancer, and she made the comment on FB, it was a whole lot more fun to homeschool, before chemo and cancer.  I haven't had cancer, but i know it can be "rough terrain," homeschooling your kids and not feeling well.  The LORD was ever so faithful to strengthen me and carry me through those years, just as HE is now..."JESUS CHRIST is the same yesterday, today, and forever." Hebrews 13:8.  When our circumstances change, HE's still the same, and loves us ever just as much as when our circumstances were more pleasing to us...HE is sovereign, has a plan and purpose and "engineers the circumstances," that we find ourselves, or our loved ones find themselves in.
             This week i wanted to share with you the testimony of Jordan Johnson, the son of our former pastor, Aaron Johnson. Jordan is the one I have asked you to pray for after he fell 26 feet in a scissor lift on to concrete. His circumstances sure did change in the matter of a few seconds as he went from being a "young strong buck," and described himself as thinking he was "invincible," to being broken and crumbled on the asphalt, and not knowing if he would ever be able to walk again. Jordan has had an incredible journey, physically and spiritually these past 8 weeks.   Many of us have been blessed all over the world to read about his journey and see the pictures on FB of the answers to prayers as the LORD is restoring Jordan physically, and more importantly spiritually.   This past weekend, Jordan, with his Daddy pushing him in his wheelchair, "ran" a race with his Daddy, sister, and other friends.  It is amazing and a direct answer to pray that Jordan continues to progress faster than the doctor's ever thought, and they decided to let him be in the race that started at 2:00 a.m. and ended at 2:00 a.m. due to day lights savings.  It is amazing that Br. Aaron, who is a colon cancer survivor, with several other surgeries, was able to run and push his beloved son in the wheelchair.  
    Br. Aaron shares on the website after Jordan, that after resigning from Summit Church in Acworth, Georgia, and traveling and ministering in Europe, they were planning to return until Jordan's accident to pastor a church in Germany.   However, GOD had another plan...in the midst of the dark despair that Br. Aaron felt after Jordan's fall, GOD brought together a group of believers and out of that group, that have now started a church, and Br. Aaron is the pastor.  I was so encouraged as i listened to Jordan and to Br. Aaron, to see how GOD had turned tragedy into triumph, and had a plan and has a plan for all that HE has allowed in their lives...and HE does for our lives, though at times it looks like HE is going to let us perish. I know when Jordan's fall occurred, Br. Aaron shared on FB that what his son was going through was far worse than the six years Br. Aaron had been through with all his sickness and treatment...yet just this past weekend on FB, Br. Aaron, his wife, and his wife Denise, declared that this was the best weekend of their lives...GOD has brought joy out of sorrow and HE does that for you and me, giving us "beauty for ashes."   I hope you will take time to listen to Jordan's testimony and be encouraged by the work that GOD is doing, not only in Jordan and Br. Aaron's lives, but all the lives that their lives are touching for JESUS CHRIST  all over the world.   I think this next Tuesday, Jordan will be able to put weight on his legs for the first time, and attempt to walk.  He has been doing much other therapy at the rehab hospital there in Atlanta which is the best rehab hospital in the world to strengthen his muscles, and I would ask you to please remember Jordan and your family in your prayers.  His desire is to walk out of that rehab hospital on Dec. 7, the date his discharge is scheduled.     Pray GOD will give him that desire of his heart.  

                           True Grit...Br. Aaron pushing his son Jordan in the                                                    Impossible/Possible" 5k race in Kennesaw




   Update added tonight (Friday) from Jordan Johnson's FB account:
   to my knowledge i do not have the credentials or smarts to know when a bone is fully healed or ready to bear weight. The only thing i know for sure is when the ability and timing are given from God you just know its right... today i defied what gradys' doctors ever imagined. I stood back up to a tall six foot three inch Jordan Johnson and i walked! It was only 4 steps, but it was 4 steps GIVEN FROM GOD! Thank god for every breath,step,and day you are given, everything is a blessing, a gift, what you do with it is your choice.

-jordan

    WOW...Praise GOD from WHOM all Blessings Flow!!!


   Another update on Sat. evening: Br. Aaron will be preaching a revival at New Hope Baptist near Athens, Al starting tomorrow morning through Weds. evening for all those around here who would like to go and hear him.  Service is at 11:00 a.m. in the morning and not sure about Sunday evening time, but Monday through Weds. is 6:30 p.m.

   


     Weds night at choir practice as we sang  the words "Master, Care Thou Not That We Perish," Br. Ryan said to sing it with expression, like we mean it.  I thought, i really do mean it...right now i feel as though i'm going to perish at times like the disciples did in the boat in the storm.  I know this in my head, the LORD has never failed to deliver me in the great trials of my life and HE won't this time either, but this old gal sure can be just like the disciples and be fearful wondering when the LORD is going to deliver me...ya'll pray for me and ask the LORD to give me HIS peace in the midst of the storm.  Listen as  Greater Vision sings this great song, "HE'D Still Been GOD," http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hw_lK5qim4.  This is a great song and I have really been blessed by it as I listened to it over and over. If you don't have a place to worship, come and join us this Sunday at FBC Athens at 10:30 a.m. for our worship service and worship our Master.  
     Even if our body does perish, for all those who are in CHRIST JESUS, we will go directly to be with HIM, the Scripture teaches us.  For those who don't know JESUS and haven't surrendered your life to HIM, you are in danger of perishing for all eternity in the firey flames of hell "where the worm does not die and the fire is not quenched." Mark 9:44.  That is not GOD's will..."The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." II Peter 3:9 I beg you today to surrender your life to the one WHO gave HIS life on the Cross of Calvary to pay for every sin you've ever done and ever will do.  HE loves you so much and I do too...won't you surrender your life to HIM today and ask HIM to forgive you for your sins today?
     The LORD continually has been reminding me that HE is here with me in the boat, and HE is in your boat too.  Below I've shared a devotion from JESUS Calling, a devotion book that has really meant a lot to me this summer, and helping me to practice the presence of JESUS every hour in my life.  A big part of our trials is so that we will draw nearer to our LORD JESUS, and HE longs to reveal HIMself to us and help us and strengthen us and provide all our needs as we depend on HIM.  HE is so faithful and has never let me or you down.                

JESUS Calling, Sarah Young
Sit quietly with Me, letting all your fears and worries bubble up to the surface of your consciousness. There, in the Light of My Presence, the bubbles pop and disappear. However, some fears surface over and over again, especially fear of the future. You tend to project yourself mentally into the next day, week, month, year, decade; and you visualize yourself coping badly in those times. What youare seeing is a false image, because it doesn’t include Me. Those gloomy times that you imagine will not come to pass, since My Presence will be with you at all times.

When a future-oriented worry assails you, capture it and disarm it by suffusing the Light of My Presence into that mental image. Say to yourself, “Jesus will be with me then and there. With His help, I can cope!” Then, come home to the present moment, where you can enjoy Peace in My Presence.

Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”
—Luke 12:22–26

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
—Deuteronomy 31:6

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. - http://bit.ly/eF5kSq

     I loved these words from Streams in the Desert this week that reminds me when things look all messed up from our point of view, that GOD will revive us again, and bring new life when it looked like there was no hope of life again...that's what JESUS did on the Cross for us, HE brought life out of death.


Author: Mrs. Charles E. Cowman
Source: Streams in the Desert
Scripture Reference: Hosea 14:7

Seek Communion
"They that dwell under his shadow shall return; they shall revive as the corn and grow as the vine"
(Hosea 14:7).
The day closed with heavy showers. The plants in my garden were beaten down before the pelting storm, and I saw one flower that I had admired for its beauty and loved for its fragrance exposed to the pitiless storm. The flower fell, shut up its petals, dropped its head; and I saw that all its glory was gone. "I must wait till next year," I said, "before I see that beautiful thing again."
That night passed, and morning came; the sun shone again, and the morning brought strength to the flower. The light looked at it, and the flower looked at the light. There was contact and communion, and power passed into the flower. It held up its head, opened its petals, regained its glory, and seemed fairer than before. I wonder how it took place--this feeble thing coming into contact with the strong thing, and gaining strength!
I cannot tell how it is that I should be able to receive into my being a power to do and to bear by communion with God, but I know It is a fact.
Are you in peril through some crushing, heavy trial? Seek this communion with Christ, and you will receive strength and be able to conquer. "I will strengthen thee."
YESTERDAY'S GRIEF
The rain that fell a-yesterday is ruby on the roses,
Silver on the poplar leaf, and gold on willow stem;
The grief that chanced a-yesterday is silence that incloses
Holy loves when time and change shall never trouble them.
The rain that fell a-yesterday makes all the hillsides glisten,
Coral on the laurel and beryl on the grass;
The grief that chanced a-yesterday has taught the soul to listen
For whispers of eternity in all the winds that pass.
O faint-of-heart, storm-beaten, this rain will gleam tomorrow,
Flame within the columbine and jewels on the thorn,
Heaven in the forget-me-not; though sorrow now be sorrow,
Yet sorrow shall be, beauty in the magic of the morn.
--Katherine Lee Bates

     I know the LORD is doing a great work in Jordan's Johnson's life, in Jean Brinkley's life, in my Daddy's life and our family...and I know that HE is working in mine too...He asks us to be patient in the painful process, and He will revive us again, and bring glory to HIMself and joy to our hearts through our sufferings.  HE will not let us perish...and death is only a transition from this life to heaven and all GOD's glorious blessings for all those in CHRIST JESUS.  Please continue to remember all these in prayer, including my dear Mother and our family. I love you and thank GOD for you, thank you for taking time to read whatever you can, whenever you can...your encouragement and prayers are such a dear blessing to me.  
                                                                                 With all HIS love,
                                                                                          mitzi

-- 
"Praise GOD in His sanctuary; praise Him in His mighty heavens.  Praise Him for His acts of power; praise Him for His surpassing greatness." Psalm 150:1-2

"O For A Thousand Tongues to Sing"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Admiring the time and effort you put into your site and in depth information you present.
It's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that
isn't the same old rehashed material. Excellent read!
I've saved your site and I'm including your RSS feeds to my Google account.


Feel free to visit my weblog ... novoline kostenlos spielen ohne anmeldung

mitzi said...

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement to my heart. You blessed me so much and I thank GOD for using the thoughts HE gave me to speak to you.
At this time, i am on a sabbatical from writing...I hope the LORD will grant me the privilege of writing for HIM again in the future. There are plenty of other writings HE blessed me with that are on the blog if you would like to read more. May the LORD use these writings to draw you to HIM and know HIM as your LORD and SAVIOR and walk closer to HIM. GOD Bless you, mitzi