Friday, August 6, 2010

"The Warrior is a Child"

"And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for MY strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of CHRIST may rest upon me." II Corinthians 12:9




"The Warrior is A Child" Twila Paris


Lately I've been winning battles left and right
But even winners can get wounded in the fight
People say that I'm amazing
Strong beyond my years
But they don't see inside of me
I'm hiding all the tears

(Chorus)
They don't know that I go running home when I fall down
They don't know who picks me up when no one is around
I drop my sword and cry for just a while
'Cause deep inside this armour
The warrior is a child

Unafraid because His armour is the best
But even soldiers need a quiet place to rest
People say that I'm amazing
Never face retreat
But they don't see the enemies
That lay me at His feet
         Chorus x2

I drop my sword and look up for His smile
Because deep inside this armour
Deep inside this armour
Deep inside this armour
The Warrior is a Child

Dearest Praying Friends and Family,



I kind of had a rough week at "the office," this past weekend. No, i haven't started working outside the home. My "thorn in the flesh," doesn't detox chemicals too well, and keeps me pretty close to home. I have learned to be thankful for my thorn most of the time... I like being home and being a homemaker. But last weekend i struggled in the "depths of my soul," and I wasn't thankful for my thorn or anything else. In fact, i was majorly discontent with my thorn, and all I could see was how it hindered me from doing the things i want to and having fun. That's a really mature attitude isn't it...but that's where i was walking. After having a fun time with my family with the Spearings at their lakehouse last Wednesday, i just had a hard time recovering to be honest. I guess the exhaust on the boat motor got me since i don't detox things too well, and i rode quiet a bit in the boat while we were there. I shared with you last week that i felt "slow," the next day, and the day after that, i got hit again at a neighbor's house with smoke and incense. Usually, my body can recover pretty well, after i sauna or sweat, but it was getting close to time for me to have an IV that helps me to detox chemicals. The IV also supplies much needed nutrients to my body that i don't seem to absorb too well through my gut.



I don't have it all figured out what happened to me last weekend...I just know that last Friday night, i was planning to go the Homecoming Weekend Service at FBC Athens and meet my dear friend Wanda and Greg there at the old fashioned wiener roast and hear our former pastor, Dr. Fred Lackey, and I didn't feel like going. I worked on my Friday email instead of going to church and finished it up, I was thankful to be able to do that. I know the LORD has to "hide," me for me to sit still and be able to share the things HE has been teaching me through the week. One of you were so kind to write me and thank me for taking time to sit down and write these emails. Well, just between you and me, the LORD gives me plenty of help to "sit still." If i had extra abounding energy i would be up and doing something else...i'm sure. I'm just not that disciplined to sit for hours and type at will. These emails are all HIM...and HE has put a desire in my heart to write them each week. I plan to share them with you until HE takes the desire and grace away to write them. The emails were "born" during a "dark night of my soul," about 5 years ago now, when i could barely think. Truly, HIS grace has been sufficient and HIS power is made perfect through my weakness. The Greek Word power is translated "dynamite," for this passage. Isn't that so neat...HE is "dynamite" in our weaknesses. I LOVE that...and so comforted knowing that.



Getting back to last weekend. Sat. i was very teary, and everything that everyone around me did was wrong. My son got the brunt of my wrath that day. I knew i was either needing an IV really badly or my hormones were crazy. I think now it was both. I felt depressed, hopeless, and with 2 weeks left before we go with HB to leave her at the University of Mobile this fall...i was just struggling with everything about my life it seemed. I wasn't a happy camper over the weekend.



I managed to go to the Saturday night service at First Baptist for the Homecoming Service. I was so blessed by our former pastor Dr. Aaron Johnson, who had come over from Acworth, Georgia, where he serves as pastor at Summit Baptist Church, to preach at First Baptist's Homecoming. Br. Aaron, 50, has suffered from colon cancer, and experienced many difficult health struggles and continues to. Just two days before the service he preached on Sat. night...he posted on FB he was suffering from a UTI and felt like he had the flu. This is the man who has to catherize himself each time he goes to the bathroom because a nerve was severed when they were doing a special colon procedure on him. How powerful GOD is through his weakness. Br. Aaron's sermons always go straight to my heart and he is truly an example of the LORD's grace being sufficient and GOD being so very strong in his weakness.



First Baptist Athens is celebrating 190 years, this year of being a church and a light in our community for our LORD JESUS CHRIST. My husband was brought up there, and when we got married, we attended there for three years, before the LORD led my husband to attend seminary in Ft. Worth, Texas. We later attended there in the late 90's til the mid 80's when Br. Aaron pastored there, and most recently have been visiting there again. What a dear loving church First Baptist is...they have loved us in our spiritual "highs" of being newlyweds, and being discipled there as new believers in CHRIST, Johnny was ordained to preach there and the church commissioned us and sent us off to seminary as we prepared to go to the foreign mission field. They were there for us in our spiritual "lows" when we returned several years later and I was very sick and so encouraged by the saints who have suffered there. I saw a living example of GOD being faithful and strong in their suffering and HIS grace being sufficient for them. They were there for us when I left for the Environmental Health Clinic in Dallas, Texas, on Easter Sunday in 1999, with hopes to be healed from a chronic illness that mystified the doctors around here. The elders prayed over me and anointed me with olive oil in the prayer room. Our Sunday School class brought meals to my young family while i was away for six and a half weeks, and when i went to the clinic each day for treatment, they were there for me through the multitude of cards they were faithful to write and send me. The lady who gave me my cards each day at the clinic commented "You sure are loved." Those cards decorated my room out there in Dallas, during those lonely and painful weeks. Little did i know, that i was allergic to the ink in the cards:). I found that out later, along with many other discoveries during those six weeks that i had developed Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and i was "sensitive" to most everything I was around me. It didn't matter i was allergic to the ink, what a blessing the love of First Baptist meant to me and my family as they expressed it to us in so many ways.



Last weekend was a weekend of Celebration in the LORD, and i found myself in the pit of despair for most of the weekend. We made it to church Sunday for another wonderful service. Afterwards, our friends Wanda and Greg wanted us to join them and other friends for lunch but i just didn't feel up to it. I really just wanted to go home and eat leftovers and go to bed, and that's what we did. I wouldn't have made the Sat. night service if it hadn't been for Wanda encouraging me to be there. At sixty something...Wanda can run circles around me and we hold each other up in prayer and love. Wanda is an answer to prayer and a dear desire of my heart several years ago when I wanted "more than a neighbor," when our old neighbors moved out of their house next door. When GOD moved her and her husband in a year and a half later ...HE did "exceeding abundantly beyond all i ask or thought," and gave me the dearest friend, neighbor, kayak partner, surrogate grandmother for my kids, confident, prayer partner a person could ask for. Though Greg and Wanda don't live next door anymore...our hearts remain as one and I thank the LORD for her and her dear husband Greg that the LORD has brought through cancer this past year. Thank ya'll so much for your prayers for them. Wanda and Greg just recently returned from a three week trip up to visit their new grand baby and daughter who almost died after giving birth to her...she is doing great now, both her and the baby. Thank you so much for your prayers for her. Greg and Wanda took a train and followed the Lewis and Clark trail out west to Yellowstone and other beautiful places. What a difference a year makes. This time last year, Greg was very sick in the hospital from dehydration and we all were concerned if he was going to make it through his treatments alive. GOD answered prayers...and Sunday, Wanda and Greg were inviting us out to eat after a full weekend at church and other events they had been involved in.



As we talked to Greg and Wanda at the Welcome Table...my eye caught my dear friend Betty Dean Newman and her husband both walking out the glass doors with their canes. Betty Dean and Julian are in their mid sixties...Julian has struggled with cancer for years, and is now struggling with complications from the treatment. He is facing surgery for an aneurysm on his aorta August 24. Please remember him and Betty Dean in your prayers. Betty Dean, Dr. Betty Dean Newman, who has her P.hD. , and is a "Teacher's Teacher," has suffered from MS for years and is one of the most joyful, vibrant, loving CHRISTians i know. She had a bad flare up this weekend and cried when her doctor told her she couldn't go and be a part of the choir for the services this weekend. Betty Dean prayed and took her pain medicine and was there for every service. She had to sit down part of the time, and every step was marked with pain for her...what a dear inspiration she is to me, and another example of "My grace is sufficient for you for MY power is made perfect in weakness." GOD's power is dynamite through her life, and Br. Aaron's and Wanda and Greg's....


"Those whose lives have had the deepest spiritual impact in the world are those who have suffered. In GOD's mysterious providence, the cross and the crown, suffering and glory, are linked."
                                                                                        Elisabeth Elliot, from Loneliness



Monday morning came, and I received my much needed IV. After finishing my IV, i did our weekly ironing, took a nap and we had a special time taking HB to Target to shop for her college dorm that evening. You know, it wasn't sad, after i had been in the pits all weekend. It was sweet to take our girl shopping, and i was impressed with her choices. I thought that was very humble of Hannah Beth not to mind us going with her. The only time she seemed to mind is when i started playing with "Buzz Lightyear," as we were walking by the toy department. I don't know why. We went to see "Toy Story 3" together a few weeks ago at the drive in theatre, and that was a real tear jerker. The boy in the movie grew up and went off to college and gave away all his toys , including "Woody" and "Buzz" and the whole gang. I don't recommend that movie when you're struggling with your child leaving for college.



I had to leave the store after a while, i don't think HB and Johnny minded too much after my episode with Buzz ... I don't do stores to well after 30 minutes or so due to the chemicals and was so glad Dad was along to keep shopping with her. I went and sat in the Yukon and after about 15 minutes or 20 minutes or so of me watching young families walk in and out Target and wishing our kids were still young, and I didn't have my thorn to wrestle with, my husband and HB came out to the car with a big basket of "necessities" for her college experience. After we shopped, we met John Mac, and some young friends, Sarah and Patrick Collins at Landry's Seafood. We were blessed with some free meal tickets we'd been given a couple of years ago and never used them. Turns out we didn't get our meals for exactly free, but we did get almost $10.00 on each plate so that was a huge blessing and we had a really good time laughing with Sarah and Patrick Collins and our kids. I didn't instantly feel better after my IV, and developed a bad headache that night. But gradually GOD used it to help pull me out of my pit of despair this weekend and feeling sorry for myself. I had a royal pity party and just really unexpectedly struggled over the weekend.



I know i have kind of rambled this week...and haven't written what i thought i was going to write. But as I listened to Twila Paris sing, "The Warrior is A Child" last Saturday, and last night as i was preparing to write this email...i felt led to share with you that this warrior sure does struggle sometimes. Last week i struggled big time, and i didn't even see it coming. Guess that's the way trials are...i know a few days isn't much, but it did remind me of what it's like to really feel depressed and really feel hopeless and not like many things about your life. You know my LORD never left me...and though i couldn't feel HIM, HE was there for me all the time, and I praise HIM for that. I praise HIM that HIS grace is sufficient and HIS power is so sufficient in my weakness.

"MY grace is sufficient for you, for MY power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will gladly boast of my weaknesses that the power of CHRIST may rest upon me." II Cor. 12:9,10


I'm so thankful that GOD chose to include that promise and that truth in HIS WORD. It has become my life verse, and I lean on it so very heavily. I do "wrestle," with this thorn in the flesh at times, that leaves me groveling in the dust, and takes me to the height of my FATHER's glory through my relationship with JESUS CHRIST. My heavenly FATHER loves me and you so much that HE gave HIS SON for us.



"For GOD so loved the world that HE have HIS only begotten Son that whosoever believes in HIM shall not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16



GOD knows the pain of being separated from HIS SON. HE knows what Johnny and I are going through facing the separation from Hannah Beth. HE sent HIS perfect SON from heaven to die on a wooden cross that we might have eternal life, and be "rescued from the dominion of darkness, into the kingdom of HIS marvelous light," for all who will trust in HIS death and resurrection and repent of their sins.



It is my thorn that has opened the windows of heaven to me, as I have seen HIM so much more dearly and nearly because of my thorn. HE has run to me in my weakness and provided my heart's desires through my weakness and built my faith so much as I have seen HIS power so strongly when i am weak.



When Johnny and I were young CHRISTians, GOD used the songs of Twila Paris to touch us and express our hearts in so many ways. We even got to see her in concert at Prestonwood Baptist Church in Dallas when Johnny was in seminary and what a blessing that was. I've been going down memory lane some lately, and last Saturday as i shucked corn, and battered okra, and prepared our Saturday lunch, i listened to "The Warrior is A Child," and i felt that way very much...i felt kind of beat up and just wanted to run to my FATHER, not wanting to see anyone but curling up in bed and staying there. I wanted to share that powerful and honest song with you this week, along with, "Do I Trust You, LORD?," another one of her very honest songs that speaks to my heart where i am walking right now. I pray the LORD will use these songs to encourage and strengthen your heart, as HE has mine and HE continues to. HE longs for us to run to HIM when we fall down like i fell last week, and HE will pick us up. HE has picked me up over and over and over and continues to each and every time i fall down. Last week at the Spearings, no matter how many times i fell on the wakeboard, Brad just kept coming back to pick me up...he didn't leave me there to drown or struggle on my own, and neither does our heavenly FATHER who loves us so very much and fights against our enemy for us.



"When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the SPIRIT of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him and put him to flight-for HE will come like a rushing stream which the breath of the LORD drives." Isaiah 59:19



My friend, Tim Greene, http://www.evangelisttimgreene.com/ is an example that the LORD lifts up a standard, an ensign of war, a staff, flag, or banner, against the devil and fights for us. The enemy came in his life like a flood several years ago. The devil sought to destroy Tim and his family through deadly mold poisoning. All the "losses," Tim and his family faced through that time their home, livihood, health, could have destroyed them if the LORD JESUS had not fought for them. Many of you prayed so diligently for Tim and his family during those most difficult years. GOD has restored Tim, and healed him. GOD came against the enemy, lifted up a standard against him, and Tim will be preaching and singing this Sunday at Austinville Baptist Church in Decatur, Alabama...just right down the road from us. Pray for him and if you can attend the service at 10:30 a.m. and hear what GOD has done for Tim and his family to heal him and deliver him from the enemy.



"Because he has set his love upon ME,
therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known MY name.
He shall call upon ME, and I will answer him.
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him,
And show him MY salvation."
Psalm 91:14-16





I know there are some difficult days ahead as we face this new chapter in our lives of an "empty nest." We are sure going to miss our baby girl, and through tears of sorrow, we know that our heavenly FATHER has a good plan for her and a good plan for us. Ya'll pray for us, as we desire to trust HIM for this next step in our lives and ask ourselves..."Do I trust YOU, LORD?" We take Hannah Beth to Mobile on the 19th and we come home on the 20th, leaving her there. Thank you so much for your love and prayers for us...i love you and I thank GOD for you all for standing in the gap for us during this difficult time when "The Warrior is a Child."

With all HIS love,

mitzi



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pzu-jWpcdw&feature=related- "The Warrior is a Child/Do I Trust You

--

"Do I Trust You?" Twila Paris

Sometimes my little heart can't understand

What's in Your will, what's in Your plan.

So many times I'm tempted to ask You why,

But I can never forget it for long.

Lord, what You do could not be wrong.

So I believe You, even when I must cry.

Do I trust You, Lord?

Does the river flow?

Do I trust You, Lord?

Does the north wind blow?

You can see my heart,

You can read my mind,

And You got to know

That I would rather die

Than to lose my faith

In the One I love.

Do I trust You, Lord?

Do I trust You?



I know the answers, I've given them all.

But suddenly now, I feel so small.

Shaken down to the cavity in my soul.

I know the doctrine and theology,

But right now they don't mean much to me.

This time there's only one thing I've got to know.



Do I trust You, Lord?

Does the robin sing?

Do I trust You, Lord?

Does it rain in spring?

You can see my heart,

You can read my mind,

And You got to know

That I would rather die

Than to lose my faith

In the One I love.

Do I trust You, Lord?

Do I trust You?



I will trust You, Lord, when I don't know why.

I will trust You, Lord, till the day I die.

I will trust You, Lord, when I'm blind with pain!

You were God before, and You'll never change.

I will trust You.

I will trust You.

I will trust You, Lord.

                                                                      I will trust You.











Benjamin Franklin, Letter to George Whitefield (19 June 1764)

"That Being, who gave me existence, and through almost threescore years has been continually showering His favors upon me, whose very chastisements have been blessings to me ; can I doubt that He loves me? And, if He loves me, can I doubt that He will go on to take care of me, not only here but hereafter? This to some may seem presumption ; to me it appears the best grounded hope ; hope of the future built on experience of the past."



"He wanted weakness-who was so weak as I? HE promised that HIS grace, that wonderful, transforming grace into which I had just been lifted, would prove sufficient all the time." Hannah Hurnard, Hearing Heart, p.28



Quit you like men, be strong" (1 Cor. 16:13). Do not pray for easy lives! Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be a miracle. --Phillip Brooks







No comments: